Many years ago back in 1995 I had 2 car accidents within 8 months of each other. The short version is I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (A chronic disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and tenderness in localized areas.) This was good news because I knew what I was living with. At that time the bad news was the fight that was in front of me with lawyers, doctors and insurance companies. All of the professionals felt that if I were really in that much pain I SHOULD be taking all of the prescription drugs that they were telling me to.
I simply refused! It was my feeling that going the road of prescription drugs would be the worst thing for me for the long term. I just knew there was a different way and to me a better way.
And so today here is the top 10 ideas that I put into my life for a healthier, better life long term. I say that because today I really do feel great, have a good energy level and am very active. Now I don’t say any of these things to brag I only tell you in case you are looking for another option for your health! There are many roads to health and this is the road that worked for me and it might work for you as well. Or maybe a couple of ideas implemented into your daily routine might make a difference for your day!
More Health & Fitness Top 10:
1) Water for Hydration and Health
- Definition of Water: colorless, odourless, tasteless and clear.
- Water makes up more than two thirds of the weight of the human body, and without it, humans would die in a few days
- A mere 2% drop in our body’s water supply can trigger signs of dehydration: fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on smaller print, such as a computer screen.
- Mild dehydration is also one of the most common causes of daytime fatigue. An estimated seventy-five percent of North Americans have mild, chronic dehydration.
- Water forms the fluids that surround the joints. Water helps to alleviate constipation by moving food through the intestinal tract and thereby eliminating waste- the best detox agent. Regulates metabolism
- Most people can not tell the difference from hunger and thirst and will eat something to satisfy the feeling.
- If feeling hungry have a glass of water. After 20 minutes still hungry then eat as you really are hungry.
- Drink ½ your body weight in ounces daily
- Simple way to get 8 glasses of water daily: on waking up, at each meal and snacks, before bed, with exercise-this will be a challenge as you start, stick with it as it is worth it
Here is a link to an article on what Mild Dehydration will do: http://www.naturalnews.com/035062_dehydration_health_effects_moods.html
Drink lots of water! This is one of the most important thing you can do for yourself. The water you drink must be purified with a carbon filter and the one I use is called Countertop Water System from Symmetry .
Go ahead start drinking, Water that is! Enjoy it!
2) Quit Smoking
O.K. I know you don’t want to hear how bad smoking is for you right? Well smoking is very bad for you and now is the time to quit no matter what age you are. It might be one of the most difficult things you do however it will be totally worth it when you come out the other side a non smoker.
It’s so bad for you I don’t have enough space to put it all down here however take a look at the first 1/2 paragraph at an article from Natural News:
(NaturalNews) In the US today, cigarette smoking causes one-third of all cancer fatalities and one-fourth of all fatal heart attacks. In addition to this, there are many illnesses and diseases that are a direct result of cigarette smoking. This includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, assorted respiratory ailments, angina, peptic ulcers, heartburn, and diarrhea. A recent estimate is that smoking is a factor in more than 15% of all of the deaths occurring annually in the US.
Go Ahead and Quit Smoking Today!
3) Stop eating food out of packages:
Now is the time to begin to eat REAL food! You may have heard the suggestion before to get your food from the outside of the grocery store? Well what that really means is to purchase real food.
When I was in the US a few months ago what I noticed is a lot of the packaged food is now right at the entrance as you come in on your way to the real food. The grocery store is set up to sell you stuff and that stuff is not the best for us to eat. If you are purchasing food in packages take a look at the labels. If there is 1 ingredient that you can not pronounce put it back on the shelf. It is not food for you to consume if you are looking for a healthier life.
Here is a link to another great article from Natural News on Packaged Foods! http://www.naturalnews.com/026244_food_MSG_neurotoxins.
You may be surprised once you read this article at some of the negative things in that packaged food and what it does to your health. Stop eating packaged foods! And because we don’t eat well all the time take a really good quality Multi Vitamin. The multi vitamin I choose is Ultra Vitality Crystals, becuase I drink them, tastes good and I feel so much better knowing I am doing this as well for my good health.
4) Get plenty of Veggies & Fruits
Have you heard that since you were a little kid? Eat your Veggies! Eat that fruit! Well there is a reason your mother told you that. Vitamins, minerals, trace elements, antioxidants and so much more….are in these wonderful foods and we need all those things for our good health. Purchase your veggies and fruits as fresh as you can, so buy local whenever possible and in today’s world the only choice is to purchase organic. More nutrients, better health.
Search the Natural News website at www.naturalnews.com for any questions you might have on this topic!
I also include Ultra Vitality Crystals each and every day because it is a great source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and trace elements that I am not getting in my food today.
5) Eliminate Sugar
Sugar was never meant to be eaten by the pound each and every day.
Excess intake of sugar causes: inflammation, suppresses the immune system up to 4-5 hours, and since society has begun to increase sugar consumption weight gain has also become an epidemic problem in our society! Reduce your sugar intake now!
I know you hate exercise, right? OK let’s be frank, most people say they hate exercise without ever really giving it a serious commitment. What I have found over the years is exercise makes me feel alive. My heart is working, I am breathing concentrating on a specific program, getting it don, pushing myself to accomplish a goal as intended. Then when I am done I feel happy because I have sen my progress through my goal.
And you can feel that way too! Start where you are. It doesn’t matter how you feel now is the time to start. Your goal will determine how you will start and what activities you will do. Walking for some will be an awesome beginning. For others going and getting a Personal Trainer who will design a program specific for you to succeed in your goal!
Start moving today!
Personally I exercise most days of the week and have for many years. I find it an awesome stress reliever and I feel good. As a part of my daily workout I also take Ultra Vitality Crystals, Genesis with X’Tranol 24.
The most misunderstood necessity for health. Sleep in very necessary for the body to repair, the mind, and be ready for the following days activities. Physical Repair is between 10:00 pm and 2am. After 2am the immune/repair energies are more focused on mental repair, which lasts until we awaken.
In today’s world where many of us watch TV late into the night and get up early to go to work we just are not getting enough sleep for our health.
Some suggestions to get to sleep earlier might be:
- Wind down prior to this time. It is best to start winding down @10:o0 pm so getting to sleep at 10:30 will happen for you
- Minimize the exposure to bright lights,(fluorescent lights, computers, TV at least 2 hours before going to bed.) Not always possible however it is something to think about
- To have a great nights Sleep be sure your are in a completely dark room
- Avoid the consumption of stimulants (caffeine, sugar and nicotine) after lunch because this stimulants stay in your system for many hours after having them
- Same idea with desserts. Be very mindful of desserts at dinner containing alcohol, sugar and or caffeine again these might stimulate and cause trouble sleeping.
- OK so we are back to water. LOL! Drink plenty of water, dehydration causes the body to feel stressed and the stress hormones are awakenin
- Exercise Starting to see a theme here? This will help you sleep better at night. Do be aware of the time of day you train, intense training after dinner can increase cortisol levels making it hard to get to sleep hormones
- Consider moving electrical appliances in your bedroom to the other side of the room from the bed. This is very difficult today because bedrooms have so many electrical outlets however moving the clock, radio and phones are the great place to start if you can
I don’t know about you however sometimes my mind is very active when my head hits the pillow so I include in my evening Tranquillity! It helps calm my mind so I simply can go to sleep calmer more relaxed yet it doesn’t know me out like a prescription drug would.
You’ve heard the saying “Laughter makes the best medicine” right? “Well laughter is “healing”. Laughter moves lymph and oxygenates your organs” according to Natural News http://www.naturalnews.com/007551.html Laugh more!
9) Connect with People
The philosopher Aristotle said, “In poverty and others misfortunes of life true friends are a sure refuge. They keep the your out of mischief, they comfort and aid the old in their weakness and they incite those in the prime of their life to noble deeds”
Friendship and connecting are so very important for our well being! Connect with People
10) Take Time to Mediate
Calming the mind is how I think of mediation. We live in a stressful world, so much of us is connected to technology most of our day and evening, we live a very fast paced life. Calming the mind and connecting mind with body is most beneficial for health and wellness. Meditation can increase blood flow to the brain, decrease pain, better ability to focus. Meditation certainly helps the brain to be healthier.
There you have it the top 10 things I did for a healthier lifestyle. What I can be sure of is not everyday was easy however it was all worth it! And that is hopefully the message that I can give you. Sometimes when we are not exactly where we want to be with our health, vitality, weight, thoughts or anything that you are presently being challenged with change can be the most difficult because to change you Must give something up! Even if you know that the something you want to give up is bad for you, you also know it has some kind of comfort. Just know if you have the willingness to commit to making some of the changes for a healthier you it will be worth it.
If I can help you in the process please do not hesitate to get in touch and let me know how! email@example.com for your questions. Or comments.
To your continued health, Wendy